Sight loss charity Galloway’s is launching its famous Morecambe Bay Walk, which this year returns with an early spring date.
Once again, it is the only charity to devote a weekend to the iconic fund-raiser. The Galloway’s walks will be led by the Guide to the Sands, Michael Wilson, on Saturday, May 30th and Sunday, May 31st.
Galloway’s can take 800 walkers across the weekend and over the years, the event has raised thousands of pounds – going a long way to support more blind and partially sighted people.
Charlotte Carnell, events fund-raiser at Galloway’s, which has sites in Penwortham, Chorley, Morecambe and Southport, said: “We are so excited to once again launch this flagship event here at Galloway’s. It is a brilliant fund-raiser that draws people from all over the country to take part.
“Last year’s walk raised more than £16,000 which helped us to continue to support local blind and partially sight people within our community.
“This really is a brilliant event to take part in. Everyone who has joined us in the past has had so much fun and can’t wait to sign up again.”
The Morecambe Bay Walk is happening across two days: Saturday, May 30th, starting at 11.15am and again on Sunday, May 31st, starting at 12.30pm. The walk will begin in Arnside and is expected to take between three and four hours, finishing in Kents Bank.
The Queen’s Guide to the Sands, Michael Wilson will lead the teams from Galloway’s across the bay for the second time since he took over from former guide Cedric Robinson MBE last year.
He said: “I was very privileged last year to lead the Galloway’s team across the sands and I can’t wait to do it again this year.
“The charity does some amazing work in supporting people with sight loss and I can’t wait to once again meet the army of fund-raisers as they take on this annual walk. With two dates to choose from, there are plenty of spaces, so why not sign up today?”
The former guide to the sands Cedric Robinson has fond memories of Galloway’s being the first charity walk more than 30 years ago.
He said: “It had always been a pleasure to lead the walkers across the sands for Galloway’s and I am thrilled they are continuing to do so.
“It has always been a fantastic weekend and it is so inspiring to have been able to support people with sight loss to challenge boundaries.
“I wish everyone good luck and encourage everyone to sign up to help such a fantastic cause.”
More details and registration can be done either by visiting https://www.galloways.org.uk/morecambe-bay-walk or by calling Charlotte on 01772 744148.
Galloway's also offers a transport service for those who need it from the Preston, Chorley, Southport and Morecambe area to and from the event.
To book transport please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Galloway’s supports more than 7,000 blind and partially sighted people across Sefton and Lancashire, at any point during someone’s sight loss journey, whether that be at the point of diagnosis or being encouraged to live independently.